The time has come once again, boys and girls! The Flickr and Koinup groups will open on January 16 for submissions of your finest evening gown photos, and the speculation is growing — who will be the best-dressed avatar on the Hollywood red carpet when the Academy Awards are handed out? Around the Grid will soon be accepting submissions for its 5th Annual Oscar Fashion Photo Contest!!
The contest groups will open for submissions once this article is published, and the prize pool has been placed in escrow (so to speak). Time to talk to your stylists, find your hairdresser and book an appointment, call in favors at the jewelry stores, and decide what you would wear if you became a nominee for the little gold man. For those considered outstanding in their evening couture and artistic portrayal, there shall be (15 minutes) of fame, (a bit of) fortune, and hopefully fun in playing the game.
Please note, men as well as women are welcome to enter!!! We’ve had a few fellows in the past, and they made it nicely through the cuts, though they were usually more escorts for the women. My only criteria in this area is that the photo has to be good. So find yourselves a good formal suit, all you Male Models, and give this contest a shot.
Even better, the prizes have increased as my RL finances have bettered. For the first three years, the prize fund totaled L$6,500. In 2013, with the addition of a few sponsors (I still give much thanks to Sascha Frangilli and Dani Plassitz for the help), we added in gift cards to get up to L$11,000. For the Fifth Contest, things have improved more — to the tune of a guaranteed prize fund of L$28,500, with a first prize of L$10,000 to the winner!!! As of this writing, no sponsors have committed, but we may add on gift certificates to various designers as well. (I’ll update this announcement and send out news if this takes place.) So, if you want a chance at filling your virtual closet at my expense, come on and enter!
Please read these rules carefully, as it will prevent many misunderstandings, letters/IMs/notecards, and headaches.
- Photos must be submitted by addition to the SL Oscar Fashion group on Flickr or the Oscar Fashion group on Koinup. Please read the group rules before submitting photos to the groups!! Exception: you may also leave a comment to this or future messages concerning the contest, containing a link to the photo. All accepted submissions from publication time of this article until 12:01 a.m. SLT on March 2, 2014 will be considered for judging. Both groups are moderated, and any submissions not meeting the contest rules will be rejected and considered ineligible for entry. The same applies for comment submissions to the blog.
- Entries must be human avatars. (When we start getting Centaurans on the red carpet, I’ll broaden the allowable species; until then, no aliens, bodypainted elves or sylphs, chromatic dragons, envoys of the Elder Gods, or anything other than Terran human norm.)
- Maximum of two named avatars in any one photo (for purposes of awarding prizes, and to avoid breaking the bank; see rule 9).
- Multiple entries are not allowed. If you enter, then change your mind and want to do a different dress, you must remove your old photo from the group and submit a new one, or notify me by E-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, to inform me of your change, and I will handle the deletion. Please include a direct link to your older photo, so that I can go to the right one for removal from the group. If a duplicate entry is discovered by me before notice, the older entry will be removed by me. (I have invited people to enter multiple times in the past, which is my mistake.) No prejudice to eligibility or judging shall result from multiple entries.
- Photos taken prior to December 1, 2013 (based on publication date stamp of the photo on Flickr or Koinup) are not eligible. Still photos only, please; no machinima or storyboards. Post-production is allowed.
- Vintage fashion is acceptable, as a tribute to the long history of Oscar red carpets and ceremonies. Oscar has been around since 1929; there’s plenty of opportunity to dip into the vintage-style closet.
- Vendor cards will not be allowed; neither will photos with advertising text in the owner’s notes or comments. You will, however, be welcome to submit a “stripped” photo for contest purposes; “stripped” means no text, logos or other extraneous material, either in the photo or in the description below, aside from the normal list of who designed what. (Such a list of designers is, indeed, encouraged!)
- Judging: I will review the entries following close of the contest, and attempt to announce the winners no later than March 16, 2014 (tentative, subject to change backward or forward). Judging will be based on the appropriateness of the entry to the theme, and the artistic merit. All decisions will be final.
- Publication: By entering, you agree to allow me the one-time right to republish a reduced-size copy of your photo in the winners’ announcement article in Around the Grid. This will be the only use of the photograph beyond your own publication and other grants of permission to other venues of publication. Your copyright will be noted in a caption to your reproduced photo. I strongly encourage all submissions to be signed in a corner! All photos will be linked to their respective pages in the article, so it will be possible for readers to jump to the photo page and leave comments, faves, retweets and likes, etc.
- If there are any tweaks needed to these rules, they will be announced in a future article here on the blog, and this article amended, with notes.
- Needless to say, I’m not eligible (grin).
Prizes for Second Life winners:
Current as of January 16, 2014
The prize pool for Second Life will be L$28,500, awarded as follows (unless there is a tie):
- 1st Place — L$10,000
- 2nd Place — L$7,500
- 3rd Place — L$5,000
- Honorable mention (4) — L$1,500 each
This prize pool is guaranteed, and will not be reduced. If there is an increase in the pool, it will be announced here and in a separate article, and the prizes adjusted accordingly.
Generally, prizes will be awarded to the submitter of a given photo; therefore, if the photographer was not the model, and the photographer submitted the photo, the photographer gets the prize. In case of a tie, prizes at the tied levels will be pooled and split equally. In case of a “dual” entry winner (two Residents in one photo), equal, full prizes at the placement level will be awarded when both Residents are identified by name; otherwise, a single award will be given to the submitting Resident, who will be responsible for any split with their partner. (I will make reasonable effort to identify the second avatar.) (I would encourage photographers to make an arrangement with their model for any split of winnings.) Prizes will be awarded in Linden dollars only; none will be paid in Real World currencies of any form or nationality, in Bitcoins, gift/debit/credit cards, by check, or in any other token/medium of exchange.
Note: I like to write up a few comments about each photo, including the designers of your choices; so, again, a list of the content creators in the photo description on Flickr or Koinup or your blog is extremely welcome.
With the increase in prizes, I’m looking for fantastic work, people!! Let’s see what you’ve got.
Past winners’ announcements:
SUPPLEMENTAL, 9:47 p.m.: Iris Ophelia wrote me up at New World Notes; thanks much!